By Teresa Woodard
Heartland Gardening headed to the International Gift and Home Furnishings Market at AmericasMart Atlanta to uncover trends in outdoor furnishings. Here are a few to inspire your outdoor spaces.
1) Upgraded Recycled Furniture – One furniture manufacturer is transforming landfill waste into attractive, all-weather furniture.
2) Retro Camp Gear – The growing fireplace craze is generating renewed interest in camp tools like pie irons, marshmallow sticks and popcorn poppers.
3) Cutting-edge Metal Furnishings – The laser-cut trend of the fashion industry is now entering the outdoor furnishings industry with metal benches cut in intricate patterns.
4) New Heights for Miniatures –The miniature craze remains strong with holiday additions and whimsical nature-inspired abodes.
5) Parisian Bistro-Weave –The classic French bistro chairs of the 19th century cafes are popping up inside kitchens and outside on patios. Available in a variety of colors and patterns, they easily mix with rustic or sophisticated pieces.
6) Tiki Fun – The Tiki culture, more of 1930s Hollywood than true Polynesia, is enjoying a revival in today’s backyards as homeowners create tropical backyard vacation destinations.
7) Modern Zen – Stone sculptures make striking centerpieces in minimalist and meditative gardens.
8) Statement Containers – Today’s containers go luxe in grand scale, jewel-tone colors and stone and metallic finishes.
9) Stacked stone fountains – These smaller bubbling water features offer the alluring sound and wildlife water source without the stagnant water of traditional bird baths or the maintenance hassles of larger water features.
10) Salvaged wood furnishings – Look for painted pieces to add some colorful funk to your backyard.